1939 German Knights cross in three pieces
A superior reproduction 1939 German Knights cross made from 3 separate pieces like then originals. Fine copy with perfect beading, swastika and casting. Complete with a wide neck ribbon. The cross measures 44mm diameter and two constructed from two metal frames and a magnetic center.
The Iron cross was first Introduced in 1813 by Fredrich Wilhelm 111 of Prussia during the Napoleonic wars. It was reinstated as a German award rather than just Prussian in 1870,1914 and during the Third Reich from 1939. The roots of the Iron cross can be traced back to the Teutonic knight order 1190 AD. The very earliest example of a Teutonic cross can be traced to the 1300§`s and appeared on coins in various cities Later Heraldic neck cross were worn around the 1600`s with pin back crosses appearing in the 1800,s. All these inspired the later design of the iron cross we are familiar with today. Early neck crosses were worn over dark clothing with white enamel borders to make the cross visible. As stated early the first award was instituted in 1813 followed again in 1870, 1914, 1939 and finally 1957.