1939 IRON CROSS 1ST CLASS
The 1939 Iron Cross 1st Class is a pin back award. Our reproduction is an accurate single piece copy with correct broad pin to the reverse and fine details the centre and the silver beading. Originals are constructed from a silver flange, silvered back plate and a cast iron centre. It was awarded for military deeds and worn on the left breast.
The 1939 Iron cross was introduced 1st sept 1939 following the beginning of the second world war. Three grades were issued, 2nd class, 1st class and The Knights cross of the Iron cross. The latter cross was of a larger size 48mm and worn round the neck with a wider ribbon. The 1939 Ribbon was red white and black.
The Iron cross was first Introduced in 1813 by Fredrich Wilhelm 111 of Prussia during the Napoleonic wars. It was reinstated as a German award rather than just Prussian in 1870,1914 and during the Third Reich from 1939. The roots of the Iron cross can be traced back to the Teutonic knight order 1190 AD. The very earliest example of a Teutonic cross can be traced to the 1300§`s and appeared on coins in various cities Later Heraldic neck cross were worn around the 1600`s with pin back crosses appearing in the 1800,s. All these inspired the later design of the iron cross we are familiar with today. Early neck crosses were worn over dark clothing with white enamel borders to make the cross visible. As stated early the first award was instituted in 1813 followed again in 1870, 1914, 1939 and finally 1957.